[Tux4kids-discuss] GSOC projects

deck léa lea.deck at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 20:39:44 UTC 2013

I spent a good part of my afternoon at my computer to play your game
learning, wondering WHY my math teacher at the time did not invent the idea
of a learning system as yours. It is well known that current methods of
mathematics teaching are not very exciting and that young people are
increasingly attracted to computer games, so I think that's a great idea to
mix learning and game.

    I tried few parts of the game and I think that the evolution of the
level is really good thinking. Begin with a simple addition, increasingly
difficult over time, then subtraction, and finally mixed both. I must admit
that I have started to concentrate seriously when I arrived at the
multiplication, trying to save the poor little tux locked in their igloos.
No, seriously, I'm just surprised that the game covers a so large scale of
level.

    About GSOC, I took a look at the projects that you propose. I have no
problem for programming in C or C++. My last program implement a Turing
machine's resolver (https://bitbucket.org/dla/machine-de-turing). You ask
for some familiarity with build systems and SDL, that I honestly don't
have, but I wanted to learn SDL for my personal interest and I learn
quickly. I use to work on my projects with a git repository, as you can see
visiting the link below. So I'll be interesting in Migrate Tux Math and
t4k_common to SDL 2.0.
    The second project is interesting too. And I have some skills in unit
Test that I had to use in my two last Java projects (the program is no more
on-line, but if you are interesting in my profile, I can show you my code).

    Thank you for taking the time to read my letter, and I look forward to
receiving a response from you.

With regards,

DECK Léa