[Tux4kids-discuss] Tux Typing Mobile Application Idea - [GSoC 2013]

Dhruv Chand dhruvchand at live.com
Sat Apr 20 17:37:33 UTC 2013

Hi! I'm Dhruv Chand, an engineering undergraduate based in Bangalore. Browsing through the list of project ideas for gsoc 2013, I found the tux4kids mobile project idea particularly interesting. My younger sibling uses tux4kids at home and I have a great idea of how fun these programs are! Kudos! :) My idea is for the mobile version Tux Typing application.Due to the limit size and the different form factors of mobile devices, I found it sensible to think of an approach where the "keys" of the on-screen keyboard are directly woven with the game, so as to make it less of a pain to type on an already limited screen real estate. I have attached a rudimentary mock-up of how the game screen may look like. (DropBox Link: www.dropbox.com/s/vehnpeg5qb8trek/TuxTypingMockup.png ) It is essentially a remake of the classic Whac-a-Mole game. Depending upon the particular key press expected from the user ('g' in the mockup), that key is "lit up" by Tux. Initially, kids may concentrate on the position of Tux and aim for him, but, as the levels progress and time passes, I believe the connection between a key and its position will be subconsciously recorded thanks to Tux's repeated appearances! In my opinion, this subconscious registration is key to fast typing, as one does not "search" for a key. This mapping will also continue on a full scale hardware keyboard. Besides new avatars of tux, new music,new color schemes and new user controlled animations (such as Tux chasing an msn-ish butterfly,for example) , different levels would involve varying difficulty of words (such as farther levels containing words like 'stewardess', which involve a greater deal of finger agility than say 'apple') and even whole sentences.  Coming to the technical aspects, such an app can be programmed on the PhoneGap platform using html(5)+js+css. Due to the fairly simplistic nature of the ui, seamless operation across mobile platforms is very plausible.  I'm still refining this idea and would be really glad to hear suggestions and criticisms from you guys. I'm also trying to conceptualize an idea for Tux Math too.  Thank you so much for your time and patience,Sincerely,Dhruv Chand.  Link to CV : https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2nyluuetelugjd/Curriculum%20Vitae%20-%20Dhruv%20Chand.pdf