[Tux4kids-discuss] Tux4Kids and GSoC 2016

scottmc scottmc2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 19:02:59 UTC 2016

On behalf of the Tux4Kids mentor team, we regret to inform the Tux4Kids
community and potential 2016 Tux4Kids Google Summer of Code students that
Tux4Kids has been removed from the program due to a rules violation
involving at least one student and a mentor.  The rule violation involved
plagiarism, in which a student copied nearly word for word from a student's
proposal from a previous year.  Google takes plagiarism very seriously.
This occurred during GSoC 2015 and we just uncovered it in the past couple
weeks.

We are in the process of moving the various Tux4Kids repositories over to
Github.  This should enable more developers to contribute patches, pull
requests and report issues and give greater viability to all of our various
projects.  Also it will allow future Tux4Kids mentors to more easily watch
over each others students.

Sorry to all of the students who applied to Tux4Kids for GSoC 2016.  There
were some very strong proposals.  You can still work on the Tux4Kids code
and post code as pull requests on the related project, there just won't be
any GSoC for Tux4Kids this year.

-scottmc