[Tux4kids-discuss] Tuxtype and internationalization

LM lmemsm at gmail.com
Tue May 17 15:14:05 UTC 2016

Not sure if this the best list to post to, but didn't seem to make
much sense to post this to the Tuxmath list when it pertains to
Tuxtype.  I've been looking through the Tuxtype code and trying to
better integrate t4k_common library with Tuxtype.

One thing I noticed with Tuxtype is that it's using wchar_t for
Internationalization.  Has anyone tested the internationalization
support of Tuxtype out on Windows?  wchar_t is limited to 2 bytes
(UTF-16 or UCS-2) on Windows.  C11 standard introduced char32_t to
handle 32 bit characters (UTF-32) since wchar_t size can vary
depending on the platform and/or compiler.  I personally use uint32_t
on platforms that haven't added support for char32_t yet.  I tend to
avoid wchar_t when possible because it's difficult to work with
portably if you want full UTF-32 support.  Was just wondering if it
would be more desirable to switch to using variables/types that can
handle 32 bits across all platforms or if there's a preference to
limit Tuxtype to 16 bit support (UTF-16 or UCS-2) on platforms like
Windows where wchar_t can't accommodate 32 bits?  Does the project
have any preferences one way or the other for Internationalization
support?

Thanks.