[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tux Typing 1.7.0 released.

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 01:47:47 UTC 2008

Hello everyone,

I have posted tarballs and a Win32 installer for tuxtype 1.7.0 on our
Alioth site.

Highlights:
- fullscreen native resolution support (like with tuxmath)
- use of standard GNU gettext and locales mechanism
- overhaul of phrase practice activity with display of cpm, wpm, accuracy, etc.
- new graphical keyboard hints
- several new translations (mainly all the rest of the main Indic
languages from Mobin).
- some visual tweaks
- some drawing optimization of the Fish Cascade game to allow an
adequate frame rate on the OLPC XO.

The code is still messy in a lot of places, and I suspect tuxtype may
still be a bit buggier than tuxmath at this point.  We also need to
get menu icons made for the rest of the entries to give it a more
finished appearance.

Anyway, it should be a significant step forward.

p.s. - Mobin wrote a feature to edit word lists, but that is currently
deactivated because a unix program run by a regular user generally
cannot write to the location where the data is stored.  We need to
decide where user-generated word lists should go - perhaps in
~/.tuxmath/words, or similar?