[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] [Tuxmath-devel] TuxMath and TuxType BeOS ports

Schrijvers Luc Begasus at skynet.be
Tue Dec 16 09:57:13 UTC 2008

<snip>

> > TuxMath even runs Factroids!! great work there!
> > Only problem is that it can seem to find the config file
> > ("find_tuxmath_dir()") is the error it's giving when running from
> > terminal aside from that TuxMath is running fine.
>
> Tuxmath creates a "./tuxmath" dir inside the user's home the first
> time it runs, then looks for when the program is run again.  It is
> possible that it doesn't know where to look on BeOS.  This dir is used
> for things like keeping track of high scores and gold stars.

It used to work before (also for TuxType) ... isn't there an option to
set or use $HOME for this? (savings file path).

> > TuxType however can't be started, it compiles without errors (just a few
> > parse errors but they can't hurt).
> > It's complaining about finding the data path's.
> > 	SetupPaths(): Error - cound not find data path.
> > 	SetupPaths(): Error - could not find data path.
> > 	LoadKeyboard(): Error finding file for keyboard setup!
> > 	ERROR could not load required graphics file standby.png
> > The above lines are when trying to start it from terminal. TuxType is
> > compiled with --prefix=/boot/apps/Games/TuxType2 so all files should be
> > in place.
> >
> > Any Ideas?
>
> TuxType and TuxMath both try out various paths to see if they are
> valid, and subsequently the first valid path identified is used to
> find the data files.  In TuxType, these paths are:
>
> const char PATHS[NUM_PATHS][FNLEN] =
> {
>   DATA_PREFIX"/share/"PACKAGE"/data",
added "/boot/apps/Games/TuxTyping2/share/tuxtype/data"
>   "/usr/share/"PACKAGE"/data",
>   "/usr/local/share/"PACKAGE"/data",
>   "./data"
> };

> As a quick fix, it would be easy enough to add a line to the enum with
> the actual BeOS path.  Later we can try to make it less kludgy.

Tried with no eval ...

First time it's without an older ./tuxtype in the $HOME folder, second
time I restored the folder but it doesn't help either.

$ tuxtype -wSetupPaths(): Error - could not find data path.
load_settings_filename(): no theme-specific settings
found/boot/home/.tuxtype/settings.txt