[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] [Tuxmath-devel] TuxMath and TuxType BeOS ports

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 15:40:41 UTC 2008

Hi Luc,

On 12/16/08, Schrijvers Luc <Begasus at skynet.be> wrote:

> > Tuxmath creates a "./tuxmath" dir inside the user's home the first
> > time it runs, then looks for when the program is run again.  It is
> > possible that it doesn't know where to look on BeOS.  This dir is used
> > for things like keeping track of high scores and gold stars.
> >
> It used to work before (also for TuxType) ... isn't there an option to
> set or use $HOME for this? (savings file path).

On Unix-y systems the tuxmath settings directory is $HOME/.tuxmath.
IIRC, on BeOS that should be /boot/home/.tuxmath
On my Debian system it is /home/dbruce/.tuxmath

So this dir doesn't exist after tuxmath is run?

Regarding TuxType

> > TuxType and TuxMath both try out various paths to see if they are
> > valid, and subsequently the first valid path identified is used to
> > find the data files.  In TuxType, these paths are:
> >
> > const char PATHS[NUM_PATHS][FNLEN] =
> > {
> >   DATA_PREFIX"/share/"PACKAGE"/data",
> added "/boot/apps/Games/TuxTyping2/share/tuxtype/data"
> >   "/usr/share/"PACKAGE"/data",
> >   "/usr/local/share/"PACKAGE"/data",
> >   "./data"
> > };

Hmm - I guess we need to dig into the actual function that is testing the
paths and enable some debugging output to see what is happening.  IIRC, the
testing is done by CheckFile() that tries to open the path as either a file
or dir.  Originally, there was a dirent-based method but I think I got rid
of it because it didn't give correct results on Windows.  I'll look into
this more when I'm back at Linux.

Do you have everything you need on BeOS to build from svn(autoconf,
automake, etc)?  That would make it easier to both try potential fixes and
to ensure they are retained for the future.

Cheers,

David

p.s. - what is the current availability of BeOS/Zeta, and what hardware will
it run on?  I last used my BeOS R5 disk on my PII 400 - it would not boot on
the AMD Athlon I built just after that, and I have used AMD ever since.  I
do have an Intel-based work laptop, as well as an Intel iMac.  I am somewhat
interested in having a function BeOS install again.