[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] New user for tuxtyping

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 17:35:26 UTC 2008

Hi Daniel,

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Daniel Cartron <daniel at cartron.org> wrote:

> Le mardi 30 décembre 2008, vous avez écrit :
> > I'd really suggest getting tuxtype 1.7.0 from http://www.tux4kids.com
> > (i.e., http://tux4kids.alioth.debian.org).  It is installable with
> > "./configure; make; sudo make install", once you get some libs and build
> > tools.  You should be able to install those things with apt on any
> > Debian-based system.
>
> Oh i didn't realize that you mean compiling the source... First of all i
> never
> made it on a débian, and second there is so few disk space available i'm
> not
> sure it is possible to install all the stuff i need for this. No other way
> ?
>
> --

Sorry, I assumed you were using Xandros (Debian-based) because AFAIK that is
what the Asus EEE uses (I don't have one).

One shortcoming of our project at this time is that we haven't been building
linux binaries for download at our site.  For Debian-derived distros, the
programs do get built into .deb packages quite regularly and enter Debian
through unstable ("Sid"), and subsequently make their way into testing and
stable, and into derivative distros like Ubuntu.

We haven't made any rpm packages, however, which I think is what you would
need for Mandriva.  If anyone on this list has the time and knowledge to
make a rpm that would work on Mandriva, I would be happy to post it for
download.

I would say, however, that your disk space would have to be pretty tight to
not permit a command-line build system for tuxtype.  I have an OLPC XO and
can build tuxtype on it just fine.  I used yum to install the needed tools
and libraries and really didn't have any trouble, although tuxtype takes
several minutes to build and install on such a low-performance machine.  I
realize that someone should not have to go through all this just to use our
program, but I think it may be possible if you are interested.

Cheers,

David Bruce