No subject

Wed Dec 10 08:32:44 UTC 2008

> PS ... a small line with svn instructions would be nice on the website
> (to tell users how to pull seperate parts like tuxmath and tuxtype's
> trunk versions)
> On that note ... when I pull the trunk for tuxmath I'm running into
> problems with no
> ./makefile.in
> ./data/makefile.in
> ... (list goes on here)
> is there a reason for it? Because they do exist in the official source
> tarball.

You have to run automake to generate these from the Makefile.am files.
 "make dist" puts the Makefile.in files into the tarball, along with
the configure script, so the person using the tarball doesn't need
autotools.

It is usually recommended that generated files not be saved in svn, I
guess to save space and bandwidth (but these are not such big issues
these days).  So tuxmath does not store the Makefile.in files in svn,
for the most part.  I haven't gotten around to taking the generated
files out of svn for tuxtype.  Also, I do vpath ("parallel") builds to
keep from cluttering the source directories with the *.o files, and if
all the generated files are kept in svn, it makes it necessary to
configure and "make distclean" trunk before I can configure the build
directory.

So, AFAIK, the recommended practice is:

1. tarball contains everything needed to build with just "./configure;
make; make install", and also the autotools recipe files
(configure.ac, Makefile.am) so someone could start a fork from it if
need be.  This is what the autotools do by default with "make dist".

2. svn does not contain configure script, Makefile, Makefile.in (also
config.h, autom4te and m4 stuff, etc).  This means that anyone working
from svn has to have autotools (including gettext dev utilities -
msgfmt, etc') to build.  If you are on a platform lacking any of these
things, you are more or less hosed from the standpoint of working from
svn.

We are fully compliant with #1 but not very consistent with #2.

hth,

David