[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] TuxMath now in MacPorts & todo/roadmap stuff

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 22 10:53:22 UTC 2008

On 20/02/2008, David Bruce <dbruce at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>  On the tuxtype side, I think some fairly invasive changes are in order.  The
>  tuxtype source tree has a really bizarre structure which ought to be fixed.
>  I also think we should switch to standard Gnu gettext instead of the
>  home-brew version currently used.  This will mean paying attention to
>  locales, etc., but I think will be a long-term improvement.

Hi. I'm Caroline from tuxpaint and Ubuntu. I've just made an en-gb
localisation for both tuxmath and tuxtype and have just joined the
list.

On a really simple level tuxmath is in a much better shape than
tuxtype. Tuxmath has no current bugs in Ubuntu, tuxtype has loads and
doesn't currently run in the current alpha (due to a packaging error I
think). Because of this I can't tell you what tuxtype plays like, but
tuxmath rocks :)

One issue we've had in tuxpaint is that Ubuntu hoard translations done
on their web site and don't send them upstream. I found 6 languages
that they had translated our program into that we didn't have! We've
now got those po files and now all end users can play in those
languages :)

Because of this I looked on launchpad to see if Ubuntu were also
translating tuxtype and tuxmath. They don't seem to be - but I could
request it if we wanted to. I think we'd actually benefit from this as
we could manually sync translations from them, they have a nice
translations infrastructure and a lot of keen translators..

They would require standard gnu gettext stuff afaik. Should I request
that tuxmath is added to rosetta? Tuxtype will need fixing upstream
first, but it would obviously benefit too (but then there is the non
po content such as word lists to consider).

I looked at sending tux* bugs upstream but I couldn't work out where
the bug tracker was. I saw the link to one in Debian, but presumably
non Debian bugs need to go somewhere too. Where would one file bugs on
the program not the packaging? Where would bugs from an rpm or from a
mac/windows port go?

Thanks!

Caroline