[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] GSoC TuxType Project

Adam Goldstein abg at brandeis.edu
Sat Mar 22 16:48:27 UTC 2008

Hi TuxType Team,

My name is Adam Goldstein and I’m a Junior Computer Science and East
Asian Studies major at Brandeis University and I’m very interested in
working with you all on TuxType for the Google Summer of Code. I really
like the project a lot and after playing the game a lot myself and
browsing through the code, I think I can do a great job on both adding
more content to TuxType as well as providing in-game support for editing
word lists and practice sentences.

I have been living in Kyoto, Japan as part of a program called KCJS
studying both Japanese language and culture, and although I at first
thought that I may not be able to continue any work on Computer Science
while here, I realize I was entirely wrong. I’ve found that my interest
in what I study stems largely from a passion for the idea of
disseminating knowledge, and that has been relevant no matter where I
go. My sensei asked me to make a flashcard program for my classmates to
help memorize all of the vocabulary we have to learn, and even now
everyone uses it for studying and for sending each other lists of words
they find useful. I’ve spent hours inputting hundreds of words and
phrases and even though I never imagined that sort of experience would
come to be useful, it just happened to turn out to be perfect practice
for working with all of you.

During my time in Japan I’ve been an English tutor for children, and
before that, back at Brandeis, I did the same job but as part of the
LACE club that taught kids who had recently moved to the United States
from somewhere else. I’ve enjoyed every bit of it all and I think it has
given me some unique insight outside of just coding experience that can
help with the kind of fun and educational software that Tux4Kids develops.

In terms of technical work, during the school year I am employed as a
web developer for my university. I have acquired strong skills in
database structures as well as languages such as mySQL, TCL, XHTML, CSS,
and Javascript. Two summers ago I worked with the Geico Underwriting and
Product Management team and developed applications to speed along their
work. With one other intern, I designed and developed programs with
Visual Basic .NET and SQL to meet the needs of national managers and
shorten weeklong processes down to automatic, overnight services. Since
high school I have been programming primarily in Java for about 5 years
and the Object Oriented skills and other lessons I have learned from it
have really helped me to pick up other languages and combine them with
my own problem solving ability to be able to quickly adapt to new code
and projects.

Besides just talking about myself, I also really wanted to open some
discussion about the actual project that I would like to do. I played
TuxType a lot before writing this e-mail and while it really was fun,
the issue which really stood out to me is one that you all have already
recognized, which is that there isn’t enough diversity and depth in the
content of words and practice sentences. I would really enjoy adding as
much content as possible all summer, but I wanted to ask if the purpose
of the game is just typing or if it is also for language learning. If
the goal is just to improve typing skills, advanced word lists with the
possibility of never getting a repeated one throughout the run of a game
would be ideal. However, if the idea is also to help teach kids some of
the words they are typing, such a large amount would not work as well,
and a little repetition would actually be helpful.

Also, how exactly did everyone imagine the in-game interface for
altering word lists? After making the small flash card program for all
of my classmates, I’ve come to have a genuine appreciation for
simplicity of data input. The big problem I had with other premade flash
card software was that it forced you to fill in words with restrictive
forms, and although they were helpful and had the user’s best interest
in mind, it just slowed down the whole process. I think having a text
area that is as simple as possible to work with would be best for
in-game altering so that the process is as easy as possible, and we can
then check for any malformed lists at the end once it is being saved.

In any case, I have a lot of questions, but I don’t want to ramble on
forever. I’m sorry to write such a long letter, but I wanted to try to
give a sense of myself and why I think I would fit so well with the
TuxType team. I have the skills for it, I really enjoy helping to teach,
and when it comes down to it, I just plain love typing games and want to
contribute. I've also attached my resume to this e-mail for more
information about my background. Thank you very much for taking the time
to read this. I hope we can talk soon about the project.

Thank you,
Adam Goldstein