[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev Digest, Vol 4, Issue 12

MOBIN M mobstux at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 17:12:54 UTC 2008

> Hi,
>
> I've made a new branch in svn called "tuxtypereorg", for the
> reorganization of
> the source tree and other changes that are likely to break things for a
> while.  I've made subdirs for src, doc, data, and updated Makefile.am's
> and
> configure.ac accordingly.

Great work!

It seems to build and install correctly but needs
> more testing.  I'm also trying to do some uncrufting - there are lots of
> files in the tree that have no obvious function.  If you have time, it
> would
> be helpful if you can build and install the new branch and report any
> problems.

Yes, for sure.

I am planning to release a tuxtype-1.5.17 today as the last release prior to
> the overhaul, using the code in trunk.  It is almost the same as 1.5.16,
> with
> a couple of additional themes and some cosmetic menu work.
>
> The new Nepali theme requires an additional font, lohit-hi.ttf, which
> provided
> by the Debian package ttf-devanagari-fonts.  There is another theme in the
> works, Sinhala, that isn't quite ready yet, but will likely require yet
> another font.

Yes sinhala uses lklug.ttf unicode font.

 As the number of fonts grows, it is becoming more important
> for someone (perhaps me) to fix tuxtype so it reacts gracefully if a
> requested font cannot be loaded (at present, this causes a segfault).  We
> could then change the Debian dependencies for fonts to "recommends"
> (or "suggests", or whatever the correct term is).

Yes I too think so. Let's change them as the recommended dependencies to
install tuxtype.
Even for each indic language's themes we need to use different different
fonts. David I think I can fix this problem.

thanks
mobin