[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Working on the Chinese version of tuxtype

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 14:31:13 UTC 2009

Hi Frederic,

>> We've been searching on how to solve this issues for a while. Found 2
>> thread on the forum and very little information on the theming. We already
>> have translated the po files for Chinese (latest version) but not all the
>> texts/menus are inside.

Translations of the text in the menus are handled by GNU gettext using
the po file for your language.  All of the strings to be translated
should be in the template file, which is po/tuxtype.pot in the source
tree.  AFAIK, they are all in there in our current release, but please
let me know if something is missing.

>>We're now looking at the scripts and words folders
>> but again can't find all the menus.

The scripts and words (that is, the theme-specific "content") are not
translated by gettext, so they don't have any corresponding entries in
the po files.  For the word lists, you simply create text files with
all the desired words, one per line, with the first line being the
title to be displayed in the menu.  For the xml scripts, the best
advice is to copy one of the existing ones and edit the content as
needed.

Also, you need to make a keyboard.lst file, which is our inelegant way
of specifying what characters are "typable" with the keyboard layout
for that language.

The best advice would be to study some of the existing themes and see
how they work.  Go to tuxtype's theme data directory (e.g.
/usr/local/share/tuxtype/themes with a default "./configure; make;
sudo make install"), create a "chinese" directory, and add your
keyboard.lst and word lists below that.

>> Where is the best place to start and can we post the po file for tuxtype
>> on this list?

Yes, this list is fine - just put everything into a *.tar.gz and attach it.

Also (*important*) - I'm not sure the recent builds of tuxtype handle
non-Western keyboard input correctly.  I do know that it will display
the text properly, but it is possible we have some bugs that will
interfere with the actual game.  If so, it is something critical to
get fixed.  I would really like any feedback you have on that.

Also - just to be sure, our most recent release is 1.8.0

Best,
David Bruce