[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Response from school staff regarding progress tracking

Uwe Geercken uwe.geercken at web.de
Tue Dec 15 17:19:58 UTC 2009

hello everyone,

I am abroad in the Ukraine this week and won't have constant access to the web but I wanted to quickly answer anyway.

I think it is better to seperate the both parts as Jordan indicated so that the end user can decide if he wants progress tracking or not. keeping the whole modular is a good approach I think. although we do have to make an effort to make the two seperate parts look as one (or similar) for the end user.

I already indicated that I am willing to help. I definitely can do the coding part if this would be done in Java or Groovy. I have create some web applications based on Java/Beanshell and Apache Velocity (a template engine). but I am not in the position to say that we need to do it like this. but a template engine and a scriptin language like e.g. Groovy would be good for the end user, as it is scripted code which the end user can modify using a simple texteditor (taking he or she knows what to do). this would also make it easier for translating parts to other languages. but of course one could also create like a core of functions and objects in java and do the rest completely different. I am also happy to just simply work on some code of the whole cake.

the other thing I can do is the database work and the related interfaces, so I imagine that the data of the tuxtype app gets somehow into a database and the progress control app displays it. loading or converting the data for the database is something I could provide.

hope this helps. maybe we can get a list of things to do and already make a sort of first selection of which base technologies we want to use and then ask who can do what.

rgds,

uwe