[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Branches and conflicts and git, oh my!

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 02:05:55 UTC 2009

Hi Brendan,

> Built with libtool.  The autotools build of libt4kcommon can be done
> from tux4kids/branches/commonification/t4kcommon/trunk with:
>
> autoreconf -i
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install

Well, after an afternoon of puzzlement and RTFMing, I eventually found
that t4k-menu.c had undefined max() and min() functions/macros that
somehow didn't cause errors when I compiled libt4kcommon, but that
caused configure to fail to link libt4kcommon to tuxmath.  After
fixing those, now it works.  Tuxmath in trunk now has an option to
link to libt4kcommon that is disabled by default.  It doesn't do
anything with it yet - none of the files have an #include
t4k-common.h.

To build tuxmath in trunk with the new linkage, first do the above
"./configure; make; sudo make install" for libt4kcommon.  Then build
and install tuxmath with:

./configure --with-libt4kcommon
make
sudo make install

We should now be able to start adapting tuxmath to use the functions
from libt4kcommon.  My only questions are whether we should make
(another) tuxmath branch to do this, and whether we should put out a
tuxmath 1.8.0 "as is" before we get embroiled in the transition to
libt4k.  I'm inclined to push out a new release in the next couple of
days while my family is away.

Best,

David