[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Corrected French .po file + .desktop file translation for Tux Typing

Loïc Martin loic.martin3 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 21:38:59 UTC 2009

Hi,

The French translation of Tux Typing had incomplete translation,
inaccurate strings and about all accented letters missing. Two strings
were translated in the .po file, but didn't make it to the .mo file
(either the one in the tarball or after using msgfmt ) - fixed in the
attached file.

I also added French translation to the .desktop file, and took the
liberty to change the displayed name from TuxType to Tux Typing, since
it's the name used on the web site.

Attached are the two files, plus a patch (I'm using quilt since it's the
patch system used for the package in Debian) covering the two files
modifications.

I'd like to follow the French translation, but I'm already subscribed to
  far more mailing lists than I could follow ;). Is there a way to be
pinged of string changes short of remembering to check the site often or
reading the mailing list without a fail?

A few questions:
- in the release announcement for 1.7.3 there was mention of an archive
without the fonts - I can't manage to find it at
http://alioth.debian.org/frs/?group_id=31080 ;
- is there any reason for the tarball to contain .gmo files since
they're created from the .po files (and do the configure/make process
included creates them)?
- is the tuxtype.ico file only used for Windows (or OSX, I'm no expert),
or is it used for anything on *nix?
- is it possible to include either a 32x32 .xmp icon, a 42x42 .png
(preferably the latter, unless Holger objects), or even better an .svg?

There was also talk about an .svg transition. I'd be happy to have a go
at drawing the .svg, but I'd appreciate to know how far in the future
the code will be able to support it. Also, in the meantime, would it be
possible to use higher resolution bitmaps (in which case I could draw
the .svg but export them to bitmap graphics and still be able to see the
improvements ;) ) since tuxtype now support displaying to a monitor's
native resolution?

Loïc