[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Gsoc ideas

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 18:10:28 UTC 2009

Hi Sreerenj,

(list members - we had been discussing adding sound files for each
word to be typed)

> Hi David
> But courresponding to each wav file ,we need to identify the typed word.And
> if the word is incorrect ,the code should identify that.So for that we need
> to do something with library.Is it possible without adding any additional
> libs to our program?

It depends on what sort of activity we make this into.  If it is
something with only one "target" at a time, like the phrase typing
activity, the program would simply play the .wav instead of displaying
the text to be typed, and everything else would be the same.

We could adapt the cascade or comet games to play a .wav of each word
when it appears on the screen, either in addition to displaying it
(easier) or instead of displaying it (harder).  Either way, the
program would already know the answer word without any speech-to-text
conversion being required.  The checking of the player's answer would
be just like it is now.  If we did this (and it might be a very good
enhancement), we would need to take care to keep the words spaced far
enough apart so that the .wavs don't overlap, and limit how many words
are in play at once because the player might not remember what was
said.  Perhaps we could have the target blink when it gets halfway
down and repeat the .wav, or something.

If we add a lot of sound files, we will likely go over the 10MB file
size limit for Alioth downloads, but I'm sure we could work something
out.

Anyway, something of this nature sounds like a great GSoC idea.  We
still need to figure out who can mentor this year.

David