[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tuxtype 1.7.4 - missing files, translation problems

Loïc Martin loic.martin3 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 18:54:09 UTC 2009

Hi,
I'm testing Tuxtype 1.7.4 in Ubuntu 9.04, and since the Debian packaging
produced unexpected results, i tried again with the 1.7.4 tarball and
using only configure/make/make install. Using the source package on the
web site, I noticed that Fish Cascade>Instructions doesn't work, tuxtype
complains:
"error loading script /usr/share/tuxtype/scripts/cascade.xml"

The file is indeed missing in data/scripts.

Another problem: Lessons offers two choices, one being projectInfo.xml
(shouldn't be there, and also seem to direct to a deprecated email
address), the other, Lesson_1.xml, doesn't work straight - it shows a
green screen, pressing the escape key doesn't work, pressing space loads
a keyboard picture, then pressing the escape key makes the lesson work.
Here is the console output when trying to launch Lessons>Lesson_1.xml:

enter unload_menu()
GetIndex - Unicode char '' not found in list.
GetIndex - Unicode char '' not found in list.
GetWrongKeyPos() - invalid argument 'index' = -1
GetIndex - Unicode char '' not found in list.
GetIndex - Unicode char '' not found in list.
GetWrongKeyPos() - invalid argument 'index' = -1
GetIndex - Unicode char '' not found in list.
GetIndex - Unicode char '' not found in list.
GetWrongKeyPos() - invalid argument 'index' = -1
enter unload_menu()

Also, the Pause menu isn't translated (tested using French & German).
When using Tamil, I get some errors in the console (I don't know Tamil,
so I can't check errors on screen):

Word 'கரும்பலகை' not added - exceeds 8 characters
Word 'எலுமிச்சம்' not added - exceeds 8 characters
Word 'இன்றைக்கு' not added - exceeds 8 characters
check_needed_unicodes_str() - needed char 'ஜ' (Unicode value = 2972) not
found.
Word 'ஜன்னல்' not added - contains Unicode chars not in keyboard list
enter unload_menu()
Did not achieve desired frame rate!
enter unload_menu()

All those with libsdl-pango and libsdl-ttf (dev) installed during
building of the program (along with the rest of the libraries advised in
doc/INSTALL).

More worrying, using Debian package translations don't work (I tried
French & German), only the lessons are translated, the menus stay in
English. I'm CC-ing Holger, probably will have to open a bug report on
Debian BTS if he (or another Debian user) can confirm it's not just on
Ubuntu, but do you have any idea what could cause it in the meantime?

Also, I wonder if it would be a good idea to offer Linux binaries too on
the site - no need for an Autopackage, but an archive would be nice for
non-technical users.

Cheers,
Loïc