[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tuxtype 1.7.4 - missing files, translation problems

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 01:51:55 UTC 2009

Hi Loïc,

I've confirmed all the things you pointed out - they are indeed bugs:

On 6/3/09, Loïc Martin <loic.martin3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I noticed that Fish Cascade>Instructions doesn't work, tuxtype
> complains:
> "error loading script /usr/share/tuxtype/scripts/cascade.xml"
>
> The file is indeed missing in data/scripts.

The file didn't really provide useful help, so I removed it, but I
overlooked removing the menu entry.

> Another problem: Lessons offers two choices, one being projectInfo.xml
> (shouldn't be there, and also seem to direct to a deprecated email
> address),

Agreed

> Lesson_1.xml, doesn't work straight - it shows a
> green screen, pressing the escape key doesn't work, pressing space loads
> a keyboard picture, then pressing the escape key makes the lesson work.

Not sure when the xml lesson problem started - it had worked
previously, but it has the problem you describe now (both 1.7.4 and
svn).

> Also, the Pause menu isn't translated (tested using French & German).

agreed

> When using Tamil, I get some errors in the console (I don't know Tamil,
> so I can't check errors on screen):
>
> Word 'கரும்பலகை' not added - exceeds 8 characters
> Word 'எலுமிச்சம்' not added - exceeds 8 characters
> Word 'இன்றைக்கு' not added - exceeds 8 characters
> check_needed_unicodes_str() - needed char 'ஜ' (Unicode value = 2972) not
> found.
> Word 'ஜன்னல்' not added - contains Unicode chars not in keyboard list
> enter unload_menu()

Fish Cascade is limited to 8 chars currently - Mobin must have added
some words that are longer than that - also looks like the Tamil
keyboard.lst is not complete.  This just means that these words won't
be used (tuxtype used to segfault if any words were too long).

> All those with libsdl-pango and libsdl-ttf (dev) installed during
> building of the program (along with the rest of the libraries advised in
> doc/INSTALL).
>
> More worrying, using Debian package translations don't work (I tried
> French & German), only the lessons are translated, the menus stay in
> English.

The issue here is that last year we switched to using standard GNU
gettext, but some aspects didn't get implemented yet.  Namely, tuxtype
does not yet automatically use the current system locale.  It does use
locales internally when a language/theme is selected within the
program.  So, if you pick Deutsch within tuxtype, it should display
that in the menus (at least it does on my Debian system).  You need to
have de_DE.utf8 present on your system for it to work.

The reason this isn't yet implemented is that we need to write some
code to see if a requested locale matches one of the included themes,
and set the theme accordingly.  So, for now tuxtype always starts in
English.  It's basically just work in progress.  Note that the "old"
tuxtype didn't pay attention to system locale either, although it did
save the selected language and start in that language the next time.

> Also, I wonder if it would be a good idea to offer Linux binaries too on
> the site - no need for an Autopackage, but an archive would be nice for
> non-technical users.

Maybe, or at least have a link to where they can be found - I've
started making rpms for multiple distributions through the opensuse
build service, and we've talked about putting a link to the opensuse
search page on the tux4kids site, but it isn't there yet.

Best,

David