[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tuxtype 1.7.4 - missing files, translation problems

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 01:35:50 UTC 2009

Hi again,

>>> Also, the Pause menu isn't translated (tested using French & German).
>
> Now it works.  This is strange - the convenience macros for marking
> strings for gettext ("_(String)" and "N_(String)" aren't working, but
> the strings are picked up with  the full function call
> ("gettext(String)").

Now that one is fixed too, thanks to Bruno Haible, the gettext
maintainer.  He has
been exceedingly responsive to my newbie gettext questions since we
started implementing i18n.

>>> More worrying, using Debian package translations don't work (I tried
>>> French & German), only the lessons are translated, the menus stay in
>>> English.
>
> Haven't figured that one out yet.  I can only reproduce this with the
> Debian 1.7.4 package - it doesn't appear in my local build.

When I do a "./configure; make; sudo make install" with the Debian
1.7.4 tuxtype tarball, the menus are translated appropriately.

I think the problem may be with installation of the tuxtype.mo files
when tuxtype gets installed by apt.  With the Debian tuxtype package
installed, they don't show up anywhere under /usr using 'find', at
least on my machine.

1.7.4 is the first tuxtype version in Debian to use GNU gettext.  The
previous versions didn't use .mo files, so maybe the package needs to
be updated to reflect this change.

Best,

David