[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Fwd: Spanish and basque translations

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 00:45:48 UTC 2009

Hi Pablo,

>>This letter is crucial in spanish and it exists in basque (euskara) too,
>> although is much more rare in basque than in >Spanish. It is in the place
>> where semicolon is in a US qwerty keyboard. Well, it just can be left out by
>> not having >words containing it. However for the "Lessons" it is a must for
>> a good spanish and basque loalization.  (And I guess >for other countries
>> aswell)

Tuxtype can handle basically any Unicode character - we just need
UTF-8 encoded lesson files with the desired characters, and a keyboard
map file for that language that tells Tuxtype what characters are
"typeable".  If you look at some of the language themes, you will see
they have lots of non-US characters (some entirely so, such as the
Indic languages).

I think the keyboard map file is an error-prone part of the
localization.  One of my "wish list" goals is a platform-independent
way to find out from the OS what chars can be typed, so we don't have
to put together these files by hand.

David Bruce