[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev Digest, Vol 16, Issue 3

ranjith kannikara ranjithkannikara at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 11:55:29 UTC 2009

> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re: GSOC thread (David Bruce)

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 08:46:49 -0600
> From: David Bruce <davidstuartbruce at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] GSOC thread
> To: Bristow Thankachan <bristow.thankachan at gmail.com>
> Cc: Tux Math <tuxmath-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>,     Tux Typing
>        <tux4kids-tuxtype-dev at lists.alioth.debian.org>
>
> Hi Bristow
>
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Bristow Thankachan
> <bristow.thankachan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > hi David Bruce,
> > I 've gone through the TODO list in the cheked out version911, will it be
> > the project ideas for this years GSOC? Is the work already started on
> > implementing these ideas?
>
> No, that file is very outdated - thanks for bringing that up - I'll update
> it.
>
> Briefly, here is what we are thinking of:
>
> Tuxtype:
>  - svg support
>  - sound support for text (have program pronounce words to be typed)
>  - improved font handling
>  - addition of user-specific search path for word and phrase lists,
> so people can add their own content more readily.
>  - config/admin tool using gui toolkit (e.g. Qt4 but could be something
> else)
>
> Tuxmath:
>  - svg support
>  - improved font handling
>  - config/admin tool using gui toolkit (e.g. Qt4 but could be something
> else)
>  - LAN multiplayer mode - need refactoring into client/server
> architecture (could be applied to tuxtype also).
>
> As you can see, the ideas are similar for both programs.
>
> Apart from GSoC, both programs need ongoing code cleanup, especially
> tuxtype.  Also, tuxtype could benefit greatly at this point from a
> refresh of things other than the C code itself - high-resolution
> backgrounds, completion of rest of menu sprite icons, more word lists
> and phrase files, etc.
>
> David

Hi David,

I am interested to work with the tuxmath. I have checked out the code from
the svn and built it ( i have sent some mails to the mailing list and to you
regarding the installation from source and some changes in the code)  just
and gone through the TODO in the doc. And it will be a little more easy to
start if the ideas listed above are given a little described as the ideas
listed in the TODO ( u have already stated that is outdated Hope it is
updated by now) .

Regards
  Ranju

--