[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] GSoC Potential Student Introduction

k roy kroykroy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 08:27:56 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have already introduced myself in another thread so I will not be doing it
again. I am also interested in tuxtype development and looking forward to
submitting my idea for both the Hangman type word game and providing a
platform to users to easily configure/edit word lists. I feel that these two
shouldn't be treated as a single but two entirely separate projects. Of
course, the usability of the latter is needed by the game but this can be
integrated later when both the projects are developed. However, these are my
views. i would like to know how the other Tux4Kids members feel about it.
Should we treat the two as the same project and send a single application or
consider them independent projects?

Thanking you,
~kr0y.

2009/3/21 Zach Elko <zachelko at gmail.com>

> Hi Folks!
>
> My name is Zach Elko, and I'm a 4th year Computer Science student with a
> concentration in Game Development at Ball State University in Indiana, USA.
> This would be my 3rd year doing GSoC, working for OpenMRS and Mixxx in the
> past 2 years.
>
> Being a game programmer, my interest in Tux4Kids is obvious, and I actually
> applied last year as well for those of you that may remember (some of your
> names are quite familiar to me), although I wasn't accepted to this
> organization.
>
> I'd like to apply for the hangman game within TuxType, as well as the
> configuration of the word lists that accompanies it. I feel these 2 items
> can be strongly linked in that having a nice way to configure word lists
> would make the game experience a lot better.
>
> The great thing for me is that I've actually developed a command line
> hangman game a number of years ago in C++, and have been meaning to convert
> it into a graphical application using SDL or QT 4. Having an opportunity
> like this to continue work on a project that I created myself, but at the
> same time have it benefit others is quite a luxury!
>
> If for some reason that project doesn't work out (as far as mentoring or
> priority of the projects), the GUI tool for TuxMath also struck my interest.
> I love being able to configure all of the software I use, and that has
> carried over into my development in that I like to add tools to aid in the
> configuration of applications I develop.
>
> My skillset is composed of C, C++, Java, SDL, and QT 4. My choice platform
> is Linux, but I do have direct access to Windows if needed. I've written
> various applications in C/C++ over the past 6-7 years, both for personal
> projects (mainly) as well as course work. I've written a game in C++ with
> SDL and am currently in the process of creating another one. I have
> experience with GUI development in both Java using the built-in libraries as
> well as with C++ using QT 4.
>
> If anyone has any questions/comments for me, feel free to shoot me an
> e-mail, either privately or via this list.
>
> I look forward to hearing back, thanks!
>
> Cheers,
>   Zach J. Elko

~ Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned
skyward, for there you have been, there you long to return --Da Vinci