[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev Digest, Vol 16, Issue 18

sreyas k k.sreyas at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 09:02:40 UTC 2009

Hi,

> From: k roy <kroykroy at gmail.com>
>
> Hello,
>
> I am a final year under-graduate student aiming to apply for GSoC '09 and
> this would be my first (and last) time. I am interested to work in Tuxtype.
> I had tuxtype installed in my system through Synaptic (I use Ubuntu) and I
> started exploring the same. I found that most of the XML files given in the
> data/scripts folder were not functioning properly when run from the main
> program. So I am looking into the possible bugs. Also I'll install Tuxtype
> from the subversion directory to check if the scripts bug are removed
> there.
> Also, the idea of a new Hangman type of game is interesting and I am
> developing the idea as to how the game will look like. I will post again in
> a few days when I have the developed the idea completely. I would also like
> to know if the game will be a complete independent project proposal or any
> more ideas will have to be added to the same for applying to GSoC. I hope I
> am able to efficiently contribute into Tuxtype, so looking forward to
> help/comments and possible mentors.
>
> Thanking you,
> ~kr0y.

> Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:31:38 -0400
> From: Zach Elko <zachelko at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] GSoC Potential Student Introduction
> To: tux4kids-tuxtype-dev at lists.alioth.debian.org
>
> Hi Folks!
>
> My name is Zach Elko, and I'm a 4th year Computer Science student with a
> concentration in Game Development at Ball State University in Indiana, USA.
> This would be my 3rd year doing GSoC, working for OpenMRS and Mixxx in the
> past 2 years.
>
> Being a game programmer, my interest in Tux4Kids is obvious, and I actually
> applied last year as well for those of you that may remember (some of your
> names are quite familiar to me), although I wasn't accepted to this
> organization.
>
> I'd like to apply for the hangman game within TuxType, as well as the
> configuration of the word lists that accompanies it. I feel these 2 items
> can be strongly linked in that having a nice way to configure word lists
> would make the game experience a lot better.
>
> The great thing for me is that I've actually developed a command line
> hangman game a number of years ago in C++, and have been meaning to convert
> it into a graphical application using SDL or QT 4. Having an opportunity
> like this to continue work on a project that I created myself, but at the
> same time have it benefit others is quite a luxury!
>
> If anyone has any questions/comments for me, feel free to shoot me an
> e-mail, either privately or via this list.
>
> I look forward to hearing back, thanks!
>
> Cheers,
>  Zach J. Elko

Hi  Roy and Zach,

Good to know that you are interested in tuxtype.  The hangman game is added
into the tuxtype game so that  kids could start learning the spelling and
the meaning of different words of the language of their choice. What we plan
to add is something different from hangman. Since it is an educational game
for kids, we  could not add games which involves hanging (especially Tux).
So we plan to add something different. What I have in my mind is maybe a
snowman which melts with each wrong answer. Also this game is not just a
simple hangman. We first provide the meaning  of the word to the user as a
clue. For this we add a dictionary support (from openoffice maybe) and words
should be taken from this dictionary. This game should support all the
languages. Anyway, start learning the tuxtype code if you are interested in
doing this.

You could also give in your ideas about the game.