[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] GSoC applications

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 03:34:58 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 5:28 PM, me mine <ootld999 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm one of the applicants for GSoC, and wanted to know a bit about the
> requirements for the applications.
> The main thing is that it says on the requirements that 'As an
> example, tuxmath and tuxtype could benefit from having the menu font
> sizes be adjusted to the current screen/window size. However, you
> could pick something else of comparable magnitude'.
> Do the font size need to be bigger for bigger resolutions? And if so,
> what would happen to the pictures on the menu items? Should they keep
> the size or have SDL resize them?

The point of submitting a patch is just to show that you actually know
enough about C and basic dev tools to be immediately productive when
the summer starts.  There are a bunch of places in tuxtype and tuxmath
that are labeled with FIXME because I thought something could be
improved at some point - you can just grep for FIXME and pick one, if
you like.

Regarding actually improving the menus, I think the font size should
increase at higher resolutions (not sure if it should necessarily be a
linear relationship), and at some point (think svg) we could adjust
the menu icons as well.  This was motivated by seeing how small the
menu text comes out on the tiny (but nonetheless 1200x900) display of
the OLPC XO.  Until recently we hadn't quite worked out a
straightforward way to adjust the font sizes if SDL_Pango was being
used.  Now we can do that very nicely.

Best,

David