[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] GSOC

Sarah Frisk ssfrisk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 03:23:08 UTC 2009

As a follow up to my previous post, I was going through the source
code/game for TuxType, and I was pleased to find pieces of Edgar Allan
Poe's poem 'The Raven' included in the Phrase Words practice area
under options (I hadn't noticed this before since I hadn't previously
looked through the Options menu).  In the ideas section on the GSoC
site it does mention the benefits from "a configuration program to
support editing of word lists, phrase lists, and setting of options."
As I mentioned earlier, this idea certainly intrigues me, although I
wonder if it's possible to bring the phrase list practice program out
of the Options menu and transform that into a possible game as well.
Possibly with various cohesive phrase lists that go together rather
than the current hodgepodge of Poe, Shakespeare, and "The quick brown
fox jumps over the lazy dog."   I liked how stats were posted on the
practice Phrase Words area, such as WPM, accuracy, and number of
errors, although I still would like to work on the task of perhaps
adding to that to keep track of which letters are causing the most
errors.

-Sarah