[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tuxtype

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Thu May 21 15:58:37 UTC 2009

Hi Holger,

>> compile-time, and the default is to build with SDL_Pango.  If
>> SDL_Pango is used, we do not use SDL_ttf at all, and thus do not
>> directly require any ttf fonts (either bundled or as system fonts).
>
> But doesnt that (using SDL_Pango) mean, that then not all fonts are displayed
> as nicely as they are, when the fonts installed?

SDL_Pango is a bit of a black box to me, but I think it tries to pick
a system font that can display the text at hand.  I have no idea how
the algorithm actually works.  However, it does have a mechanism for
the program to specify the preferred font, and that is implemented in
tuxtype.  So, if the preferred fonts are present on the system,
SDL_Pango is supposed to use them.  Otherwise, it will try to pick
something else that will still work.  I haven't tried to test this to
see if it really uses Andika for Western languages, Rachana for
Malayalam, and so forth.

> I've currently made most fonts a suggests: but am thinking about recommends:.
> Besides that, the package is ready for upload and I guess I will just upload
> it now as it is. I'll probably wait 30min or so for your reply, but there is
> also no problem to upload it now, and reupload a changed package in two
> days :-)

I don't know if this corresponds to "recommends" or "suggests", but at
least it isn't a hard dependency.

Cheers,

David