[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Branches

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Tue May 26 20:41:12 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

The actual coding of GSoC is getting underway, and I think we should
get the projects working in their own branches for the most part.  The
LAN project in particular is going to require deep changes that could
break the program temporarily.  On the other hand, the config program
is self-contained, so I don't think it really needs a branch.

In particular, I want the GSoC students to feel completely free to
make lots of small commits, even if something isn't quite working, so
that the mentors can take a look and test the new code themselves.
Having one's own branch takes away the worry that a problematic commit
will interfere with others.

The flip side is that it can get hard to merge code into trunk if the
branches progressively diverge.  I'd suggest that the students/mentors
try to keep up with merges every week or so, or as working pieces of
code get completed.

The Subversion manual has instructions on how to efficiently create
branches in the recommended "on the server" fashion:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.branchmerge.using.html#svn.branchmerge.using.create

Thanks,

David