[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Response from school staff regarding progress tracking

uwe uwe.geercken at web.de
Tue Nov 10 19:49:55 UTC 2009

I think Bruce meant to copy the whole list but sent it only to me. so
below you can find his input.

Bruce, I am a fan of modular concepts. meaning I like programs of tools
that do what they are good at and not more. so I think the
administration or analyses of the progress of a student should be a
seperate program. there can still be an interface to moodle if that is
deemed necessary, but mixing the both is in my eyes not good, because
maybe some end user doesn't know or want moodle.

of course avoiding duplication is good. but we talk about progress
control and not administration of students. for me there is a
difference. the progress control is more on the reporting and analyses
side whereas administation is more about users, names, addresses,
classes, schools, etc. but then maybe we could make one platform for
both. I don't know.

btw: I started a web-based admin tool for school classes for my wife -
she works as an italian teacher. so she as to administer class and
students (also over multiple years), but I stopped it because her
company indicated they they have no interest at the moment.
I don't know where you are with your code, but if you want to have a
look or talk about the basic idea, feel free to ask. you can also have
the code if you want to.

rgds,

uwe