[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tux Typing 1.8.0

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 16:18:20 UTC 2009

Hi Matt,

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Matthew Trey <tux4kids at treyhome.com> wrote:
> Very cool.  I'm struggling to find time to continue my work on the project.
> Particularly with the way lessons are loaded and sorted/displayed.  Seems to
> me that the user should be able to select the name of the lesson which is
> displayed as the <title> in the xml file and not the filename of the xml
> file itself.  Furthermore, that list should be sorted alphabetically.

Yes, I thought the same thing - it would be better to display the
titles rather than the file names, and of course have them in a
logical order (but maybe not alphabetically).  We have a similar
situation with the lessons in tuxmath ("Math Command Training
Academy"), although the code would have to be adapted as the lesson
files in tuxmath have a different format.  Also, tuxmath has the gold
stars for completed lessons, which would be a nice touch to add here.

Based on initial feedback, it seems that some good things to work on
for 1.8.1 would be:
- change location of custom word lists in Windows build to user's
application data folder
- tweaking of display for word list editor with better user feedback
- display xml lesson files using title rather than file name
- have tuxtype automatically go into either the OS locale, or perhaps
the selected locale from the previous session, rather than always
English.

Cheers,

David