[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Some issues that I see with 1.8.0

Matthew Trey tux4kids at treyhome.com
Sat Nov 14 17:07:15 UTC 2009

> 2. My first problem with tuxtype 1.8.0 is the new words lists. And i'd
> like to share how I fixed it in my case. Let me say that I LOVE this
> feature and am looking forward to using it. It would allow the students
> to come in with their spelling words, make a list and then play games
> to practice them. The problem that I ran into is that we are using a
> domain. Which means the students are all on limited accounts so that
> they can't mess up the computers too badly. But this also means that
> they do not have permissions to create new lists. I got around this by
> giving them all permissions to the tuxtype folder in program files, but
> it seems to me that if we are going to offer this custom lists thing,
> that it aught to be stored in the users application data folder, rather
> than in program files. This would allow users to bring word lists with
> them from computer to computer if they use roaming profiles, and also
> would make it easier to back up custom word lists and move to another
> computer. Just a thought. I don't know if you could change the file
> path without much work or not.

Fixed in the source tree, although not completely apparent when you run the
game.  Tuxtype will now create a user settings folder if it is not already
there.  On windows this is typically:

Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\TuxType

And on POSIX systems it is usually /home/username/.tuxtype

It will also create the settings.txt file which holds your user specific
Settings.

What it WILL NOT do yet(and I'm working on it) is actually
create a words directory (/home/username/.tuxtype/words or the windows
equivalent).  You need to manually create that at this time and put
words lists there.  I want to make sure that If I am creating that
directory, that I copy the theme specific words before the global
default English words if the chosen theme is not English.

I compiled a windows binary and threw it in my user folder on svn if
You want to test it out.

Cheers,
Matthew Trey