[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Some issues that I see with 1.8.0

Matthew Trey tux4kids at treyhome.com
Sun Nov 15 16:29:09 UTC 2009

I see your concern, decentralizing the files would make it difficult to post a new global word list.

Windows generally uses the "Program Files" directory for applications and data, and the registry for much of the configuration, The user profile is then used for any user data.  There is an "All Users" profile which could contain shared settings, but this is not necessarily world writeable.  In fact it is very unlikely in a domain controlled environment that you can assume it is writeable by a user.

If, without much headache, we could get tuxtype to load 2 directories worth of wordlists all at once, I think that would solve the problem.  It could first load the global lists, then load any additional scripts in the user directory, be it a windows profile, or a POSIX home directory.

I think a little while ago on the tuxmath list, there was an issue with a teacher at a youth prison who needed to remove some "questionable" names from the high scores.  This will eventually happen to the tuxtype word lists if the global scripts are user writeable.  But with the correct permissions, global scripts could be read only, and the appended custom scripts read/write, avoiding the inevitable moments of immaturity.