[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tux Typing 1.8.0

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 23:09:41 UTC 2009

Hi Holger,

I've been looking at this very stuff just today, trying to get the Mac
build to work.  The problem, basically, is that tuxtype-1.8.0 creates
a directory for the modifiable word lists and basically fails if it
doesn't find it - the word list scanning function just bails out,
rather than displaying all the word lists that are in their usual
location.  I worked on it earlier today and made it more
fault-tolerant in svn.

I tested the tarball with a configure-make-make install and it seemed
to work.  I think the difference is that now "make install" creates
the new directories for the custom word lists, and it looks like the
Debian package doesn't create them.

The needed directories are "$(localstatedir)/tuxtype" and
"$(localstatedir)/tuxtype/words" - these default to
/usr/local/var/tuxtype and "/usr/local/var/tuxtype/words", and I think
Debian would use "/var/tuxtype and /var/tuxtype/words".

"make install" also creates "$(sysconfdir)/tuxtype", i.e.
"/etc/tuxtype", as the start of a move to put global settings in a
more correct location, but so far it doesn't actually use that
directory.

I think there will be a 1.8.1 pretty soon for reasons like this ;)

Hope that helps,

David

btw - there should be a new tuxmath release pretty soon too, probably
once the current tuxtype issues are addressed.