[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] [Tuxmath-devel] Packaging tux4kids-admin

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Wed Oct 14 12:20:27 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Mittwoch, 14. Oktober 2009, David Bruce wrote:
> Perhaps not needed for packaging per se, but we do need to have a
> "make install" target to use with tarballs.  Right now, I still
> haven't figured out how to even test the admin tool, not knowing much
> of anything about Cmake.

Yes, definitly some README how to install and use the tool would be nice ;-)

> > But, where is the tux4kids-admin source? Whats the svn repo url? (Are
> > there any released tarballs?)
> It's in our regular repository, alongside tuxmath and tuxtype.

Ah, thanks.

> There
> aren't any tarballs yet.

Ok.

> Cmake doesn't have a built-in "make dist"
> target - from what I gather, there is a companion tool called Cpack
> that is used in packaging.  Again, my knowledge of Cmake is very
> sketchy.

I think the author(s) should provide documentation how to install and how to
use the tool, before we even think of packaging.

Also, some information who the author(s) are and what the copyright of the
code is, would be nice^w^w^wis needed. Right now, the code is not
distributable at all(!):

~/Projects/tux4kids/tux4kids/tux4kids-admin/trunk$ find | xargs licensecheck |
grep -v UNKNOWN
~/Projects/tux4kids/tux4kids/tux4kids-admin/trunk$

To translate this: licensecheck is a tool which is part of the devscripts
package (in Debian and I assume in Ubuntu too) which checks the licence of a
given file. All files in the tux4kids-admin/trunk directory come with no
licence/copyright information whatsoever :-(

tux4kids-admin author(s), please provide a COPYING file summarizing the
copyright of the project, also _each_ file really really should list its
copyright and the author(s).

Right now, tux4kids-admin is not suited as it is for inclusion in neither
Debian nor Ubuntu :-(

regards,
	Holger