[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] non free sounds & better backgrounds

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 16:05:04 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Matthew Trey<tux4kids at treyhome.com> wrote:
> I think click.wav is called in laser.c at line 321.  It's in an array of
> sound file names defined in laser.h

OK, now click.wav is totally removed from tuxtype - the laser game now
uses "tock.wav" in that spot instead.  So as far as DFSG is concerned,
we just have tuxtype's four music files to replace.  If possible, we
should use *. ogg files rather than *.wav from a size standpoint (the
*.mod files are atari soundtracker format, which also works).  I'm not
certain, but I think SDL_mixer will also play mp3 files.

If mp3 works, one idea I've considered is to let tuxtype/tuxmath scan
a folder with the user's own music files and randomly pick the music.
This would actually be pretty simple to do and might be a cool
feature, especially for a little bit older kids.

Best,

David.

btw - Caroline, the new backgrounds look fabulous!