[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] SVN Menu Item and Maintenance on website

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 17:00:24 UTC 2010

Hi Matt,

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Matthew McSpadden
<webmaster at anvilsmithtech.com> wrote:
> Hey,
> 1. I wanted to ask about the SVN Repository menu item. Will GIT require
> something similar or should we just remove it entirely once the transition
> is complete?

I think the info on svn/git can be on the "For Developers" page.
Also, the Alioth-provided page for our project
(https://alioth.debian.org/projects/tux4kids/) is mostly a "for
developers" page, so I'd suggest we point folks there.  One problem so
far with respect to the new git repositories is that the automagically
generated SCM page (https://alioth.debian.org/scm/?group_id=31080)
assumes we have a single "tux4kids" git repository for the entire
project, so we need to figure out how to fix that or at least give the
correct directions somewhere else.

> 2. Partly because I am very busy in real life, working two jobs and getting
> married soon, and partly because I can never get the SVN to work properly,
> I'd like to impliment some stuff that I have been developing for other
> sites. It would make it much easier for the admins and others to keep the
> website up to date without having to change code. It would simply backend
> into a MYSQL database and use PHP to pull out the information which means
> that news items, download locations and such could be changed from a web
> form rather than searching through the code itself. Let me know if this is
> something that we could do for the website.

I don't know.  Does it mean running a MySQL db on the alioth server
itself?  I just ran a ps -A on alioth.debian.org and see that there
are lots of postgres processes running, but no mysql.  Would postgres
work equally well?  Anyway, I think the alioth admins would need to
answer that question unless Holger already knows.

btw, the git setup seems to be fine.  See other email I'm about to send.

Cheers,

David