[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Git migration - done

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 22:19:30 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

The new git repositories are in their permanent locations.  I would
encourage anyone who is interested to clone them and make sure pulls
and pushes work appropriately.

The svn repository is still there, and the public website htdocs are
still connected to svn.  Don't commit any code changes to svn because
they won't get moved into git.  Once we get the website switched to
tux4kids-web.git, I think we should have svn stop accepting any
commits, but we can leave it up read-only for a while until we are
sure we don't need it for anything.

Below is what I put up at alioth.debian.org/projects/tux4kids, and
will also put up on the public website:

Tux4kids has now officially switched from Subversion to Git.  The old
monolithic "tux4kids" svn repository has been replaced by five git
repositories, one for each subproject:

	tuxmath.git
	tuxtype.git
	t4kcommon.git
	tux4kids-admin.git
	tux4kids-web.git

The repositories may be accessed in several ways (change "tuxmath" to
name of desired subproject as needed):

1. Full "read/write" cloning for members of the Tux4Kids project on Alioth:

	git clone git+ssh://YOUR_ALIOTH_USERID@git.debian.org/git/tux4kids/tuxmath.git

(obviously replacing YOUR_ALIOTH_USERID with your actual login).

2. Anonymous read-only cloning:

	git clone git://git.debian.org/git/tux4kids/tuxmath.git

	or

	git clone http://git.debian.org/git/tux4kids/tuxmath.git

3. Browse with web interface:

        http://git.debian.org/?p=tux4kids/tuxmath.git

Note that the autogenerated documentation under the SCM tab at
http:/alioth.debian.org/projects/tux4kids assumes a single global
"tux4kids" repository, and thus does not work as described there.
Hopefully this will be corrected in the near future.

There are two remaining known issues with the migration to git.
First, there are a couple of areas from the old repository that are
not included in the five new git repositories, namely
"tuxmath/people", "branches/commonification/tuxmath", and
"branches/commonification/tuxtype".  These are still readable in svn,
but new commits are discouraged.  Second, the new tux4kids-web.git
repository is not yet connected to the public-facing website
(http://tux4kids.alioth.debian.org).

David Bruce