[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Problem with downloading Tux Math and Tux Typing

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 00:35:41 UTC 2010

Hello Marius,

>>    I tried downloading the two programs but my security programs are blocking
>>    both download sites.
>>
>>    The block is due to "an invalid security certificate".
>>
>>    I use: Avira Premium, Windows Defender and Windows Firewall (Vista SP2)

This occurs because Alioth uses a self-signed ssl certificate.  I did
some googling, and apparently there are three certificates involved
and they get presented in the wrong order, or some such thing.  I
believe the Alioth admins are aware of this issue, and hopefully it
will get resolved at some point.  However, I know it has been this way
for at least two years.

Anyway, if you have the option, it is OK to just ignore the warnings
and download the programs anyway.  I personally cross-built all the
windows builds on a Linux box, and can assure you they contain no
malware.

I wouldn't do online banking through a site that uses a self-signed
certificate, but I can't quite see why it should be a big deal for
something like tux4kids.  I guess conceivably some attacker could
maliciously redirect folks to a bogus build of tuxmath that has a
keylogger or something, but that seems really far-fetched.  Also, you
must trust us in the first place if you want to use our software - a
recognized certificate doesn't prove anything about whether the
software itself is malicious.

I'd sure like to see this resolved, because I bet lots of folks have
been scared away from our games by these warnings.

David Bruce