[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] No one on tuxtype this summer?

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 23:40:52 UTC 2010

Hi Matt et al,

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 7:23 PM, Matthew Trey <mtrey at treyhome.com> wrote:
> No one is on tuxtype this summer?

Well, we don't have any tuxtype-specific GSoC projects this summer,
but really all three of the tuxmath/tuxtype projects are aimed at both
of the programs.  One is for tux4kids-admin, one is aimed at improving
our use of SVG, and the third is aimed at getting the shared code
organized into a proper library.  Admittedly, all three have targeted
tuxmath first, with tuxtype to follow, but tuxtype really should see
some significant improvements from these projects.

David

p.s. - one tuxtype-specific issue that I really would like to see
fixed is that of input methods for Asian languages (or more generally,
for languages that use sequences of keypresses for a single
character).  Tuxpaint's input methods code (courtesy of Mark Kim) has
been merged into tuxtype, but it isn't actually used by the program
yet.  Until then, tuxtype can't support Chinese, Japanese, or Korean
(and likely other related languages as well).  We can display these
languages fine, but keyboard input doesn't currently work, AFAICT.