[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Fwd: gettext 0.18 creating po/Makefile.in.in with wrong GETTEXT_MACRO_VERSION

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 16:21:19 UTC 2010

Hi,

Basically, the latest gettext is 0.18, which is in Debian Sid
(unstable) but not yet in testing, stable, or any Ubuntu release.  I
doubt it is in many other distros yet, either.  It is, however, in
mingw-cross-env as well as MacPorts.  It turns out that we all should
use the same gettext version to avoid build and runtime errors.
Contrary to what I thought, it is considered unsafe to use more than
one version.

So, we are going to have to move to gettext-0.18 in the fairly near
future.  If we go ahead now, it would force some of us to install a
newer gettext outside of the usual package manager.  If we wait, we
might delay being able to work on the cross-platform builds.

To the best of my knowledge, this doesn't affect end-users, just the
devs actually working on our programs.

I personally would favor going to 0.18, but I may be biased because
that is what is on my main home desktop.

Thoughts?

David