[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tux4Kids accepted for GSoC 2010

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 20:40:08 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I have just received notice that Tux4Kids has been accepted to
participate in this year's Google Summer of Code.

We need to quickly identify our mentors and refine our "Ideas" list.
So far, we just have me signed up as admin and Caroline as backup
admin.  If you have been a previous Tux4Kids GSoC student or mentor,
you are encouraged to be a mentor this year if you are willing and
available.  Mentors should plan on spending at least five hours per
week on the project, and should be available throughout the GSoC
period, for the most part (e.g. a week-long vacation is fine, but
being inaccessible for a month would not be fine).  The number of
available mentors will likely be the limiting factor determining how
many students we can take.  I strongly advise each mentor to only have
one student.

The ideas page (http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/user/david_bruce/tux4kids)
also needs to be finalized quite quickly.  In particular, the Tux
Paint section was merely copied verbatim from last year.  I haven't
been subscribed to the tuxpaint dev list, so I apologize if there has
been discussion on this that I have missed, but I'll get signed up
now.  I'm quite aware of the code issues for tuxmath and tuxtype, so I
can put together a reasonable "ideas list" by myself, but I'm totally
dependent on others for the tuxpaint section.

Again, we need to identify mentors right away to know how many slots to request.

Cheers,

David Bruce