[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Fwd: tux4kids project GSOC 2010

Abhishek Gupta abhishekgupta.iitd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 10:02:58 UTC 2010

Hi,
I am Abhishek Gupta, first year undergraduate Computer Science Student,
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi, India. I am really interested
in the tux4kids project and want to participate in the same via GSOC 2010.

As far as my background and experiences in coding are concerned I would like
to mention the following facts:-

I am a game developer in flash CS4 and have been programming in flash for a
last few months. One of my games can be seen at the following link
www.tryst2010.in/games/mutli or www.tryst2010.in/multi/MultiTasking.swf and
its source files can be downloaded from
http://tryst2010.in/assets/helix/MultiTasking.zip . If you will see the
source code, you will realize the way I program in flash which basically is
java. I primarily program in flash or java, but I know C and C++ as well.
Though, I am not that very well known to their libraries about which I am
very eager to do.

Also, I downloaded the source files and run them on my machine. They worked
brilliantly except one thing... there were no animations. I know animations
are difficult to create from C and that is where flash can help, though i
will be primarily interested in coding in C or Java. What, I am here
referring to with animations is that there can be animation while the
software is started may be tux.. taking part in some interactive animation.

About your time requirements of about 40 hours a week, i can promise you
about 8 - 9 hours of quality work from my side. Since, i live in India my
time is GMT +5.30, but I can work the part of time that suits the
organisation, like any slot from 0600 hrs to 0300 hours (23 hours to choose
from), so time compatibility won't be a problem. Also, I will have my
holidays off from May 6th 2010 to July 26th, 2010.

Maybe, you may feel that I am not upto the mark for the internship because
of my lack of familiarity with the C and C++ libraries at the point the time
and the fact that I am still in my first year. But, I can ensure you that I
will certainly stand above your expectations by the time GSOC start. I just
need some direction from you and rest I can manage. And about the fact that
I am in my first year, it only imbibes me with a much higher vigour, eager
to learn and enthusiasm for the project.

So, I would like to request you to guide me a little, so as how I can
contribute to the tux projects.

Thanking you,
Abhishek Gupta
09958003242