[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] gsoc ideas

Victor Tozo de Carvalho victortozo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 20:46:31 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have sent an email before but I didn't introduce myself, so I'll start
with that.

I am a forth year student of Computer Science at University of Campinas (
Unicamp <http://www.unicamp.br/unicamp/en>).
I have learned and developed in C in my first two years of college,
including an internship with embedded systems.

Some students from Unicamp have submited applications in GSoC past 3 years
and they motivate us to come in the universe of free software that I
participate since 2007 as an user when I removed windows from my computer.
As a free software developer, I am currently working on a project called
TelEduc and it is about e-learning. I use mostly php, javascript and ajax in
this project.

About Tux4kids project, I have started studying SDL a bit before entering
the mailist in order to understand well the code of both tuxtype and
tuxmath, wich are the projects that i'm interested.

I studied a bit of SVG to understand the problem of the time consumption at
the startup in tuxmath and I enjoyed the idea of using threads as a solution
but I'm still studying how is the best way to do it whereas we should extend
the use of SVG for all graphical elements.
I wonder if there is a mentor for this project, with solid ideas to discuss
with me and define a scope of this application to apply in 3 months.
In my first email about SVG, I got no anwser... this still a valid idea ?

About a this new idea that I had, I would like to know what you think about
it to the project and also if it applies to GSoC.

While I was playing tuxtype, I found really cool the background images
changing during the game but I believe that these images could have some
connection with the type of library is being used to play.
For example, lets syas that the teacher have created an library (words)
about mammals. He might like that as wallpaper, mammals appear instead of
landscapes.

My idea would be to change the 'edit words list' to an 'edit library', with
a good interface for the creation of libraries including adding images to
use as background when that library is selected.

Finally, I would like to know where should I send some patches that i have
written for both tuxtype and tuxmath. The Sourceforge seems a bit abandoned
and I didn't found in Alioth a place to send them.

Regards,

--
Victor Tozo de Carvalho