[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Should we require patches from GSoC applicants?

Bruno Dilly bruno.dilly at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 14:12:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 7:28 AM, David Bruce <davidstuartbruce at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Last year we required GSoC applicants to submit a small patch to one
> of the programs, mainly to prove that they really do have at least a
> rudimentary grasp of C, gcc, make, source repositories, and the like.
> Michal brought to my attention the fact that I didn't include that on
> this year's application (an oversight).  I think we should require
> patches, and if no one objects I'll update our GSoC page accordingly.
> Any thoughts?

Sure, I completely agree. Btw, I have suggested 3 interested students
to submit patches to the chosen program at #tux4kids (victortozo,
lvwr, and aang).
Victor already did some patches but I don't think anybody answered his
email so far.

I believe submitting patches is a nice way to demonstrate interest and
programming skills.