[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Start development.

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 00:57:23 UTC 2010

Hi Bart,

> I have a job in embedded+PC software, using C/C++ daily. Now I want to learn
> Linux using tuxtype. The program seems not completely mature.

Yes, there is definitely a lot to be done, even though the program has
been around for years.  Go to http://tux4kids.alioth.debian.org to get
some more info about how to get involved.  You will need to request a
free guest account at http://alioth.debian.org, then request to join
the tux4kids project.  Once I add you to the project, you can clone
our git repositories such that you can push changes back into them
(we are pretty free about giving out access, but no one has abused it
yet).  Or, if you just want to do stuff on your own, everyone is
welcome to pull from the repositories on a read-only basis without
becoming a member.

Tuxtype and tuxmath are very closely related, so it is worth following
both lists (tuxmath is <tuxmath-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>).
Code-wise, the biggest thing going on has been to make the code shared
between the programs into a formal library, t4k_common.  The current
git build of tuxmath, which should be released as version 1.9.0 very
soon, uses t4k_common.  Tuxtype has sort of been in limbo while
t4k_common gets stabilized, after which the big task will be to adapt
tuxtype to use t4k_common and eliminate the duplicated code.  We
really want the code of tuxmath and tuxtype to be as similar as
possible.

Hope that helps,

David Bruce