[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Input methods in tuxtype

Seungwon Jeong seungwon0 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 11:11:32 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:36 AM, David Bruce <davidstuartbruce at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Seungwon,
>
> I'm really excited to hear of your interest in getting the input
> methods for Asian (and perhaps other) languages working in tuxtype!
>
> The input methods code currently in tuxtype's source tree was taken
> from Tux Paint and minimally modified (mainly file name changes), but
> as you can see it isn't yet actually used in tuxtype.  The code was
> written by Mark Kim, who I have cc'd, hopefully with a current email
> address.
>
> You might know that tuxmath and tuxtype have had a lot of informally
> shared code, which more recently has been made into the "t4k_common"
> library.  Tuxmath has been adapted to use t4k_common, but tuxtype does
> not yet use it.  We plan to switch tuxtype to t4k_common before the
> next public release.  I think the input methods "state machine" would
> be most appropriately located in t4k_common, rather than in tuxtype
> per se.  I would leave it to you whether you want to start by leaving
> input_methods.c/.h within tuxtype and getting them working, or move
> them into t4k_common as "t4k_input_methods.c" and start linking
> tuxtype to t4k_common.
>
> This is really exciting!  I've known that a big shortcoming of tuxtype
> was inability to accept input from languages that use sequential
> keypresses for a single unicode character.
>
> Welcome to tux4kids,
>
> David Bruce

Hello, David.

I'd like to start by leaving input_method.[ch] within tuxtype because
I don't know much about t4k_common library yet. But I'll move it to
the library later.

I'm going to commit Korean translation and theme first. Then, I'll
commit some code for Korean input method (maybe in another branch
because I don't want to break any existing code).

Thank you.

Seungwon Jeong