[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tux4Kids has no mentors for GSoC 2011 (as of yet)

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 22:57:08 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

(sorry about the cross-post, I want to make sure this message gets out)

As things stand now, no one has offered to be a mentor for this year's
GSoC for Tux4Kids.

If you are too busy to make a commitment, I know how you feel, and
this year I sort of feel that way myself.  I had hoped someone else
would offer to be the GSoC admin this year for our projects.  I've
decided I'm willing to do that, as long as we have mentors for the
projects, but so far no one has agreed to be a mentor.

If the consensus is to sit this year out, I'm more or less OK with
that.  For sure on the tuxmath/tuxtype side, there are a ton of "loose
ends" that ought to be taken care of before we add major or invasive
new features, and I get the sense the same is true for Tux Paint.
Still, GSoC is our biggest opportunity to bring new developers into
the project, so I would like to participate if there is interest.  But
if no one can mentor, it's a moot point.  For the last two years, I
was both admin and mentor, and I felt like I didn't give my students
as much attention as they deserved.

So, if you want to be a mentor, and it is news to you that we might
not participate this year due to lack of mentors, let me know right
away (as in by Thursday AM).  The deadline for us to submit an
organization application is Friday.  I don't want anyone feeling
shocked after the fact if we don't apply to participate this year.

As always, thanks everyone for everything you have contributed.  I
don't want anyone to get the idea that they should feel obligated to
volunteer.

Best,

David Bruce