[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Problem compiling tuxtype.

Haris Ibrahim K. V. blucalvin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 12:14:01 UTC 2011

On 09/11/2011, David Bruce <davidstuartbruce at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Haris,
>
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Haris Ibrahim K. V.
> <blucalvin at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> I found some errors while trying to compile tuxtype.
>>
>> 1) When I ran autoreconf, it gave the following output:
>>

> You should run "autoreconf -i" (shorthand for "autoreconf --install").  I
> think the problem is that a lot of these boilerplate files need to be
> copied in by automake and autoconf, and just running automake by hand only
> took care of some of them.  That's why you are still getting the error
> about the missing po/Makefile.in.in.
>
> The latest git checkout of the master branch builds without errors on my
> machine.  Try this
> 1.  clone and checkout tuxtype into some location (most likely you have
> done this already).
> 2. From the top level tuxtype directory, do:
>
> mkdir build
> cd build
> autoreconf -i ..
> ../configure
> make
> sudo make install
> tuxtype -f

I did not install gettext with sudo as I didn't want to confuse apt.
Instead I had installed it into a manual location at ~/tux4kids/build/
. So my steps are

mkdir build
cd build
autoreconf --prepend-include=~/tux4kids/build/lib/ ..
../configure

And then I got the errors that I sent in my last mail about the
po/Makefile.in.in. However in the above steps, when I type

autoreconf --install --prepend-include=~/tux4kids/build/lib/ ..

I get the error message saying that I need gettext-0.18 or newer.

Would you advice that I install gettext at /usr/local using sudo and
get started on the code or is there anyway else around the problem
that I'm having?

> and you should have tuxtype running so you can test it.
>
> (it is cleaner to do builds from a separate build directory like this to
> avoid cluttering the source tree with object files and other generated
> files).
>
> Also, please send questions like this to the dev mailing list so the
> answers can be googled in the future.

I'm sorry. I'll take care of that from now onwards.

> --
> David Bruce
>
> For all your software needs, visit The Apt Store:
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main

Regards,

--
Haris Ibrahim K. V.