[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] [Patch] Fix buzzer when typing <esc>

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 01:03:24 UTC 2011

Hi Marc,

> Attached is a patch for the first problem against debian version (that
> i quickly tested successfully, and which does not seem to embed
> patches).

Thanks - I'll try to get it into git this week.

> I have a few other questions:
>  - is there a coding style/recommendation ?
>  - how should patch be submitted ? attached ? in-line ?
>  - regarding the second point it might be linked to .mod handling in
> SDL, as problem does not occur in 'playgame.c' aka cascade. Patching
> audio.c to Mix_VolumeMusic(Mix_VolumeMusic(-1)); fixed that problem
> but i'm not sure it's OK to add it to tuxtype as is rather seems a SDL
> problem (debian is currently shipping an old one, i.e. 1.2.8 which
> is a few years old... and problem might have been fixed since then as
> mod handling part has been reworked)

There are a couple places in tuxmath and tuxtype where the differences
in SDL_mixer
between 1.2.8 (Debian) and 1.2.11 (MacPorts, mingw-cross-env) show up
- if the fix is specific to 1.2.8, we have an autoconf test (at least
in tuxmath) that tells if we are using the old one.

>  - where is the best place to discuss about features/pb encountered ?
> this list which seem (according to archive) more spam than
> 'interesting' mails. I tried to create an account on alioth, but was
> unable to login (might be a wrong password, but, alioth did not give
> any entry point: webmaster, e-mail address...)

This in principle is the correct list, but there has been very little
tuxtype activity for several months. If you want to join the project,
you just need to create an alioth account and request to join the
tux4kids project.  Then you can have full (read/write) access to git.
Anyone can use the git repos on a read-only basis.  Hopefully any
trouble creating an alioth account is temporary - haven't had that
issue come up before.

Tuxtype is going to be getting a major overhaul as soon as I (or we)
get around to it, namely refactoring it to use the t4k_common library
that we split off of tuxmath so we reduce duplication of code between
the two programs.

Also, we have had some recent discussion on the tuxmath list about
eventually rewriting the programs in java so we can someday have a
browser-based game and an Android port as well as the traditional
desktop application, but for now that is just speculation.

--
David Bruce

For all your software needs, visit The Apt Store:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main