[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Question Tux Typing

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 17:57:31 UTC 2011

Hi Beth,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Beth Weeks <bweeks at shermanisd.net> wrote:
> Perfect answer... 2nd question.. my kids are working on Tux Typing and it
> minimizes their screen and freezes their computer.. to fix I have to log
> them off and start again...any ideas on how to fix?
> Beth

Afraid I need more detailed information - what are they doing in Tux
Typing when this problem occurs?  As for "it minimizes their screen
and freezes their computer" - a bug in Tux Typing should not be able
to crash a modern memory-protected OS.  If Tux Typing becomes
unresponsive, you should be able to kill it using the Task Manager
which you can call up with Ctrl-Alt-Del (I'm assuming you are running
some form of Windows at your school - for OS-X or Linux you can find
tuxtype's process id with ps -A and then kill it).  In other words, if
a bug in Tux Typing crashes Windows, it means there is also a bug in
Windows, and we all know Windows has no bugs ;)

Also, as I mentioned earlier, if you run tuxtype from a single network
installation, the instances of the program will occasionally crash
because they try to access the same file on the server at the same
time, and tuxtype wasn't designed with that type of use in mind,
although it's something we should address.

Hope that helps,

David Bruce

--
David Bruce

For all your software needs, visit The Apt Store:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main